Wednesday, March 16, 2011

NAANsense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love bread. I love it as a vehicle for spreads and dip. I love it alone torn in hunks from a warm loaf. I love it toasted. I love bread.

There are all sorts of "breads" out there, but I have to say, beyond a crusty loaf of sourdough or a pillowy, shining braided challah, naan it one of my favorites. Naan is a traditional Indian leavened flatbread that has been oven-grilled. It is light and full of air pockets, crispy on the outside, and great for sopping up hot spicy Indian curries or chilled yogurt sauce.

When my mom was visited a few weeks ago, Justin prepared an Indian feast of roasted eggplant, creamed spinach, ginger-tamarind glazed salmon, and saffron rice. I volunteered to make the naan--it was the least I could do, really. Turns out, it is quite straight forward--even without a traditional tandoori oven.

Naan
adapted from Neelam Batra's 1000 Indian Recipes

2 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
14 c. warm water
1/2 c. plain yogurt
2 TBS. vegetable oil
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. all-purpose flour (in a bowl for dusting)
1/4 c. melted butter

1. For dough, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and set aside for five minutes. Mix in yogurt and oil.
2. Place flour and salt in a food processor and mix. Gradually add yeast mixtures with processor running--run until flour gathers into a ball. Transfer the ball to a large bowl, cover with plastic, and place in a warm place until it doubles in size (3-4 hours).
3. Divide dough into 10-12 balls and keep covered to prevent the dough from drying out. With each ball, place in the bowl of flour and coat it well with the dry flour. Transfer to a cutting board and flatten the ball with the palm of your hand, then roll it into a 7-8in. long triangle.
4. Place on large baking trays and lightly brush the top of each naan piece with water.
5. Preheat the oven to broil. Place the tray 4-5 in. below the heating element and broil until small brown spots appear on the top (1 minute). Carefully flip each piece and cook until the other side is golden.
5. Transfer naan to a platter and baste lightly with melted butter.

Serve warm with plenty of things to dip it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment