Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patty's Tasties



In celebration of St. Patrick's Day and due to the half bottle of flat chocolate stout in our fridge, I decided to make some festive tasties. The first, which is still fermenting, will be a loaf of oatmeal stout bread. The second, CHOCOLATE STOUT CUPCAKES! I made these cupcakes for our wedding because Justin loves chocolate cake, stout, and dislikes frosting. While I still can't believe anyone would dislike frosting, the chocolate crumble on top more than makes up for the frosting. I think this is first time I've made these since our wedding...


The recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World -- I've never made a cupcake out of this book that I didn't like. Oh, and most of them include frosting.


Last night, we whipped up some arugula pesto and tossed it with sauteed black trumpet mushrooms, onion, cayenne, and pasta...just to get into the spirit and to get some healthy spring greens. I used sunflower seeds instead of cheese and pine nuts and it turned out creamy and delicious.


Arugula Pesto


4 c. fresh arugula

4 cloves garlic

juice of 1 lemon

1/2 c. sunflower seeds

1/2 c. olive oil

salt and pepper to taste


Those are rough proportions...throw all of the ingredients into a food processor--adding the oil as it blends. Stop, taste, season, and enjoy. Toss it over pasta, have it on toast, or use it as pizza sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment