Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Crazy" : a pretty word to hold in your palm for examination.


So, as the holidays approach, I'm spending lots of time attempting to complete gifts and projects. Today, I spent about 3 hours in my favorite Blackbird Coffee Shop in town with my friend, Brit. We worked on knitting and crocheting projects and pondered (half-jokingly) if we were crazy.

My immediate response was: "we're all crazy. its fine, as long as your type of crazy doesn't hurt someone else."

Now, how many of us in our mid-to-late twenties are trying to figure out exactly who we are, who we want to be, and how we want to express that to the world--professionally and personally? I'd venture to say, lots of us. All of that mental hopscotch can make a person feel a little loco.

This conversation was a great reminder that this journey through life is bumpy and imperfect for each of us -- some of us find stability in work, some find stability in a supportive partner or community, some of us find stability in faith--but, in general, life is a little messy and unpredictable. My mom reminded me the other day of one of my favorite mantras, "its the journey, not the destination". So, lets enjoy the bumps and such and remember to share our crazy with others. We are all in this crazy life together, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment