Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Spring Weekend

On Saturday, while I worked at Nash's, Justin set out on a mission for compost and meat. An odd combination, I know, but stay with me.

The compost, of course, is for our garden. Last spring, we were lucky enough to move into a home where the previous owner had spent all of her spare time in the yard. Raised beds were filled with light enough soil and flowers surprise-bloomed in new places throughout the entire summer. However, the vegetable garden was not super productive, so we knew the soil needed some love. We planted it with nitrogen-fixing vetch and rye during the winter and, on Saturday, Justin acquired a whole heap of compost from Lazy J Tree farm. Its dark, moist, and beautiful. By the time I arrived home on Saturday night, he had spread it on all of our beds. What a man!

Sunday morning, we took a brief jaunt to Hurricane Ridge to play in something white and fluffy.






Upon our return, we got to play in something brown and fluffy.

These spent a few days on the porch curing before going into the ground.


Snap peas are beginning to pop.


What future edibles does this little plot hold? So far, radishes, spinach, chard, onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips, beets, kale, calendula, and nasturtium!

Ah, but I mentioned justin's quest for meat too! You're too sharp to let me leave that hanging in the black hole of the interweb. Yes, he came home from the PA farmers market with bacon and the biggest chunk of beef that I've ever seen up close (okay, it was like 1.5 lbs). No, no we are not beginning to consume vast quantities of meat each day, nor have we become one of those vampires that is so common to this area...Instead, we were preparing for a feast--Julia Child style.

As a result of my recent reception of Mastering the Art of French Cooking from Justin and the shiny red enameled casserole dish so generously gifted by my lovely parents, I felt compelled to make Boeuf Bourguignon (beef stew).

The ingredients were so simple - butter, carrots, onions, mushrooms, herbs, wine, meat. The process was complex. Each ingredient was given a significant amount of time and attention in its preparation, because it would ultimately play a major role in the final flavor of the dish.

In total, I would say the dish took about 4 hours...and, with mason jar of wine in hand, I enjoyed every minute of the process. Every step felt like a little mediation or pause of appreciation for the journey that the "ingredient of focus" had taken to finally arrive on my kitchen counter. I must admit, I've never really been a fan of beef stew; I can't actually think of time that I've eaten it. But, truth be told, Boeuf Bourguignon was one of the best things I've tasted in a long time.

Julia, carrots, pearl onions, pig, cow, herbs and everyone else...thank you for the time and energy you put into making this dish a success! love, jill and justin

simple things.

Julia's advice: "don't crowd the mushrooms."


A moment of pause to appreciate the browning beef.

Its not the prettiest, but it has a great personality (in scent and taste).

No comments:

Post a Comment