Friday, June 25, 2010

Summertime

Finally! It feels like a proper summer out here (at least for a few days). In perfect tempo, summer seemed to appear on the Solstice. The weekend was rainy and a bit chilly, but this week has been warm enough to wear a tank top with pants--gettin' wild, i know.

I know those of you in the Midwest are rolling your eyes, because you're lucky if the temp dips below 90 degrees and you can comfortably wear more than your underwear around the house. If it gets into the upper 60's around here, native Washingtonians are uncomfortable. Not me! Give me the hot, give me the humid! Give me that Midwest swelter that makes lying the grass all day a perfectly acceptable and productive activity.

I know I've got my nostalgic rose-colored glasses on, but I love the way that summer heat in the Midwest has a way of slowing the pace of life. Instead of walking, you stroll. Instead of quick hellos, you stop to chat. The only pace that accelerates is that of the tomatoes, zucchini, and sweet corn--growing plumper and juicier by the hour.

So, sweet summer. Its lovely to meet you again. I look forward to lingering under the sunlight of your long days.

No comments:

Post a Comment