Sunday, July 11, 2010

Where do all of those seeds go?


So, I keep mentioning that we're collecting native seed in order to grow plants for "revegging" after the Elwha Dams come out. Well, those seeds have to go to a place where they can be--in my opinion-- magically transformed (aka follow the cycle of life) into PLANTS! Turns out, these seeds and eventual plants needs quite a bit of TLC. Hence, the existence of the Matt Albright Native Plant Center (aka Olympic Park's nursery).

This nursery was constructed especially for the Elwha's restoration; and it is quite cush! If I were a plant, I would want to spend my younger years soaking up the sun and on-demand water right here. That said, the plants wouldn't be flourishing like they are without Dave, the nursery manager, and all of the lover-ly volunteers that keep things cared for and moist. I get to spend about 50% of my time here too.


Me in a sea of green
(which all needs transplanting, want to help?)


The canyard: where the plants go to harden up.


A test: what plants will grow best in the worst sediment?

No comments:

Post a Comment