Sunday, August 1, 2010

Devil's Shoelace Custard Pie


Trailing blackberries (Rubus ursinus)--I may have mentioned--are one of the most delicious native berries in the Pacific Northwest. They are kind of like nature's sweet tarts. However, you have to work to get them; they are so tiny that you can pick for well over an hour and end up with only 2-3 cups. Also, they are prickly; they like to vine hither and dither all over the ground. During harvest, a trip and fall into a spikey mess is quite possible (hence the name devil's shoelace). That said, they are SO worth the trouble.

I've had my sights set on making a trailing blackberry pie this year. I was telling my dad about this vision and he started to reminisce about all of the fruit pie's that his mom, my Grandma Arlene, would come up with. My grandma continues to hold the "bestest cook award" in my life. Although all of the grand kids are adults, she and my grandpa keep the cookie jar full for our visits and make sure no one leaves their home underfed. Oh, and did I mention her homemade catsup?

So, of course, when my dad spoke of pie, I knew it wasn't just pie. It was custard pie. I can't say that I've had a lot of custard pie in my life. My memory of custard is of something akin to ice cream, but richer, creamier, and often served with strawberry shortcake . However, I knew my dad wouldn't steer me wrong.

Custard pie filling is quite simple--like most delicious things. Its a mixture of cream or milk, eggs, and sugar. My dad was also excited about the idea because of our access to super farmfresh eggs and creamy raw milk here on the ol' Olympic Peninsula. That settled it, trailing blackberry custard pie!

It was no mistake. The rich creamy custard went perfectly with the tart little berries. I have no doubt that custard would compliment most fruit pies. So, hop to it. Thanks, grandma!

Devil's Shoelace Custard Pie
inspired by Ray and Arlene and adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

1 pie crust (prebaked for 8 minutes at 450 degrees)
1 1/2 c. trailing blackberries
4 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups of cream or whole milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly beat eggs with a fork. Then, stir in sugar, vanilla, and salt.
3. Gradually, stir in milk until mixture is thoroughly combined.
4. Spread berries in prebaked crust and set pie pan on the oven rack--this will minimize spillover.
5. Pour filling into pastry shell over berries. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
6. Cool for 1 hour or chill in fridge.
7. Yum.







No comments:

Post a Comment