Monday, August 23, 2010

Its official...


Okay, I cannot deny it anymore.
The sun is rising later and later. 10pm daylight is a thing of the past.
And most blatantly, my pumpkins are turning orange.

Yes, folks, fall is upon us!

I think fall is my favorite season. Leaves turn brilliant colors and make footsteps noisy with their crunch-crunch. Hot apple cider and pumpkin-flavored everything abound. The crisp mornings are perfect for a run. Scarves and hats become standard dresscode. Candycorn! Harvest celebrations. Salmon return to the Northwest rivers en mass. Fall is fantastic!

That said, can't we have a few more hot hot days that necessitate a swim in Lake Crescent? I want to wear t-shirts without layers. I want more raspberries and apricots. I want the sun to wake me up too early. I am a creature of light; as much as I love all that fall is, I never get over the more and more absent sunshine.

Okay, perhaps I'm being a tad dramatic. After all, I know your Midwesterners out there have been waiting oh so patiently for respite from the swelter of this past summer. And our tomatoes and peppers are just starting to burst with color and girth and make our neighbors jealous---i mean excited for what we will share. And the cloudless sky has been quite diligent in her appearance lately.

Alas, I say, "Fall, you're dropping hints that you are en route and I am thrilled to greet you once again, but let me wipe the sweat from my brow and the tomato juice from my chin for just a bit longer."

1 comment: