Monday, September 27, 2010

Grand Pass, indeed it is!

Grand Lake.


As the light and warmth of summer begin to fade, I have a constant urge to dash into the mountains without delay. Soon, the peaks will be gorgeous and snowcapped, but a lot more challenging to climb. So, this Saturday, Justin and I took advantage of what we thought was calm sunny day to hike up to Grand Pass. The hike is especially striking because you start in the sub-alpine, which looks like mars compared to the dense lush forests of Western Washington. The trees that do grow up there are tangled and dr. suessical.

It was sunny alright, but crazy windy. It was so windy, I literally thought I was going to be lifted and flown like a kite. I realized that wasn't the case when I saw quite a few marmots standing their ground. Wind aside, it was a beautiful day for a hike. High mountain blueberry bushes were turning fiery red and the lakes we passed glowed brilliant blues. Did i mention the marmots? I love marmots! (Too bad I was too busy trying to hug them to get any photos)

The hills are alive...


The view that nearly blew me away (seriously).

Windblown.

No comments:

Post a Comment