Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A spoonful of sugar...


Upon mailing my finished thesis to Evergreen to be bound, I decided that I wanted to do something 100% light and enjoyable. Being that daylight and sunshine are at a minimum this time of year, I have decided that "thing" is to read the entire Harry Potter series. I read a few of the books years ago and they were entertaining, but I never got around to finishing them. Recently, NPR did a story about Harry Potter--that station makes everything sound so interesting.

People love the story! There is something universally satisfying about it. It is simple, yet it draws you in. Apparently, something referenced in the opening chapter of the first book resurfaces in the last book; so its well thought out too. Anyway, I have been curled up on our couch with my nose in these books for almost a week (aside from our snowshoeing and Thanksgiving adventures).

Wouldn't you know it, my most recent break from the adventures of Harry was to make an elixir with my friend J. She has an inspiring knowledge of medicinal herbs and foods. So, we have decided to, over time, try to build/make our own herbal medicine chests: tinctures, salves, balms, elixirs....

We actually thought this up before I started reading Harry Potter, but I have to say, the scent of herbs and honey cooking in boiling water have a magical quality about them. We started the process by making an Herbal Cough Elixir. We were a bit concerned about the final result as wafts of brandy and thyme burned our nose hairs, but upon sampling it, the flavor was sweet and rich. I guess a spoonful of sugar (or a few cups of honey) does help the medicine go down in the most delightful way. Cheers!

Herbal Cough Elixir
*take 1 tsp 2-3 times per day when you've got that winter cough*

2 qts of water
3 cups of honey
4 oz. of dried licorice root
4 oz. of dried wild cherry bark
2 oz. dried of fennel
2 oz. of dried thyme
4 oz. dried blue elderberries
2 handfuls of fresh or frozen raspberries
1 qt. of brandy

1. Bring water to boil and add honey.
2. Add licorice root, cherry bark, and fennel and simmer for 15min.
3. Add thyme and elderberries and simmer for 15 minutes more.
4. Turn off heat. Add raspberries and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Strain mixture through cheesecloth.
6. Add brandy to mixture and transfer to jars or bottles.

It makes a little less than 3 quarts.



No comments:

Post a Comment