Tuesday, January 11, 2011

sweet and simple.


Sometimes, its best to keep it simple. By it, I mean most things. Explanations, color combinations, plans for the day or for life, and food. As I relish in the simplicity of a cold winter evening in front of the woodburning stove with a good book and a much-welcomed phone call, I am thankful for a simple dinner.

A lady-farmer-friend filled our crisper with a small mountain of plump parsnips the other evening. Since then, I have been enjoying the sweet and simple nature of these roots. Tonight, for example, dinner was as follows:

1. Peel and quarter 3 parsnips and 1 yam. Spread them in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika. Roast at 425 degrees until edges of chunks start to brown and crisp.
2. Fry an egg.
3. Fill a bowl with fresh spinach, top with roasty roots, and top that with fried egg. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

Sweet and simple.

3 comments:

  1. Jill - my far away friend!

    Yum, yams! I resuscitated the ol blog. I enjoy peaking in on what you've got cookin so we put you on the blog roll - hope that's ok with you!

    Hugs and mugs of tasty warmth to you!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete