Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Cleaning...


As Spring officially sprang a few weeks ago, a group of friends inspired me to take advantage of the increasing sunlight, budding plants, and generally springy-ness to do some spring cleaning of my body. For about two week, I refrained from caffeine, alcohol, animal products (meat, cheese (!), eggs, butter...) and sugar (including honey, maple syrup, and the likes).

I really learned a lot about myself during this time. For example, I put honey on just about everything--my morning oatmeal, my tea, my peanut butter sandwiches, my fingers. Also, I rely on coffee and black tea for more than just caffeine--these drinks serve as little rewards that get me through the day. Not that my love for honey, coffee, or earl grey are bad--they are, in fact, very, very good--, but it is enlightening to know how much I love them.

While I had a pretty terrible headache for the first 3 or 4 days, I tried to think of the cleanse as an opportunity to enjoy the simple and delicious foods that I often coat in butter and honey or skip, entirely, for pastries and such. For example, I rediscovered my love for simple salads with oil and balsamic vinegar, avocados, and the sweetness of a ripe piece of fruit. I also took the time to cook some simple delicious dishes from a new cookbook that my mom got me when she visited: Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. What a fantastic book! Below are two of my favorite creations from the book:

Quick Lemon and Garlic Quinoa Salad
I doubled this recipe and still made it twice. Its great to take for lunch or to accompany dinner.
Salad:
1 c. dry quinoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. water
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/3 c. minced parsley
1/4 c. sunflower seeds

dressing:
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. olive oil
1-2 TBS. soy or tamari

1. Place quinoa, salt, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until water cooks off.
2. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, veggies, and seeds.
3. In a separate bowl, mix dressing ingredients.
4. Pour dressing over salad and mix. Serve room temp or chilled.

Nutburgers!
I like beef burgers too, but I salivate for these. Enjoy them with buns and all the fixin's or naked over greens.
(makes 4 burgers)

3/4 c. sunflower seeds
3/4 c. walnuts
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
pinch of cayenne
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 carrot, grated
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 c. cook brown rice
2 tbs. tomato sauce (I used salsa)
1-2 tsp. butter

1. Grind seeds to a find meal and mix with spices, garlic, and carrot.
2. Fold in cooked brown rice and add tomato sauce a little at a time until you get a stiff, workable texture.
3. Form into patties and chill.
4. Lightly coat skillet with butter and brown patties on both sides at a medium heat.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think you've inspired me to cleanse as well. But I can't imagine getting through the last 3 weeks of school w/o caffeine so I might wait until May 7th.
    And, I might call you for support when I am tempted to break down and eat butter, or bacon, or honey . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you're graduating already! I don't know how much support I can offer when fending off butter, bacon, and honey...but I'll do my best.

    ReplyDelete