Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Strawberry-Casting Cake and Spring Visitors

I bet you thought I meant an edible cake. It will be.

This weekend, I returned home from slingin' cheese at the Port Angeles Farmer's Market to find Justin building, what I like to call, a strawberry cake. He calls it a strawberry pyramid. Either way, it is an awesome way to grow strawberries, maximize surface area, and minimize hunched over berry picking...and, the whole thing cost only $7, a burrito, and a beer.

As he was filling it with compost, horse poop, and worm castings, our super-awesome friends, Dana, Brian and super-Lincoln, arrived from Seattle for some Olympic Peninsula fun--a.k.a. planting the strawberry pyramid, kickin' it in sunshine with a giant ball, pizza, pancakes, and a trip to Crescent Beach to explore the tidepools. (Did I mention that Dana is a tidepool enthusiast?)

I hope they come back to enjoy the fruits of their labor.


3-tiered strawberry pyramid.


Lincoln, such a baller.


Dana is showing us something awesome hiding in the eel grass.


hermit crab.


red-blood seastar.

awesome family.

No comments:

Post a Comment