Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer, is that you?

While daytime temps are struggling to get to 60 degrees and people are walking around in fleece jackets, I'm still beginning to sense that summer is here for real. The sun is making regular appearances, but its the food showing up at potlucks and weeknight dinners that is really hinting at the summer season.

1. At a birthday bbq, I tasted three of the most delicious varieties of deviled eggs that I've ever tasted: classic, smoked, and curried--each with an ornament on top (olive, almond, apricot). I copied the curried version and topped it with a dried fig--sweet and spicy!



2. At home, dinner salads are back on the menu in our little yellow kitchen and dessert might just be a rhubarb crisp.



3. We are beginning to try to eat up all of the leftover strawberry jam from last summer's late night jam-0-rama in preparation for FRESH STRAWBERRIES!!!! After a failed batch of carrot muffins, I tried my hand at PB&J cupcakes--a perfect picnic treat to get through that delicious--but overly abundant--strawberry jam. I served them naked (sans frosting)--no one complained and they could technically be called muffins and eaten for breakfast.

Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment