Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ponderings.

Hanging out and contemplating life with "Energy" the cat at Pacific Crest Farm on Vashon.

So, as the heart of winter and my limited work schedule leave me a bit of time to explore the wrinkles of my brain, I keep going back to questions like:

"What drives me?"
"How do I express that in my professional life?"
How do I express that in my personal life?"
"Why is a bun a bun?"

You know...simple questions--the kind that we like to let slip back into to the brain wrinkles from which they emerged. Being the reason-oriented thinker that I am, I decided to do some Internet-based research to address such questions. Turns out, lots of us are asking those questions--in varying words (duh, Jill).
Turns out, in the last few years, as the economy has changed and as lifestyles have changed with shifts in technology, globalization, and general passage of time, some folks are starting to refer to a phenomenon called, "The Quarter-Life Crisis".
Just like brown is the new black--or something like that-- the quarter-life crisis is the new mid-life crisis.
It even made its way onto wikipedia!

Well, I've determined that the Internet doesn't necessarily have the answers to my own questions (surprising, i know); it was interesting to find that a certain twenty-thirtysomething generation may be experiencing varying degrees of these same brain wrinkle questions. Actually, I question whether or not it is really a generational experience or if its just a human experience that portions my age-group have more time to explore, because many of us don't have kids, jobs, and such to fill up most of our brain wrinkle space.
Regardless, I'm pretty lucky to have a great community of family, friends, and things that grow in the soil to support me in these moments of reflection. I'll keep you updated on any universal answers that I find and you, invisible Internet folks, do the same!


No comments:

Post a Comment