Friday, February 12, 2010

Crystal Mountain - the bosom of Mt. Rainier


Justin is all dressed and ready to catch the first lift.

Justin and I spent a few days this past week at Crystal Mountain to do some snowboarding and relaxing. Apparently the resort got its name because of the mining and prospecting that used to take place there. I thought it had something to do with the ice crystals that formed on my eyelashes and nose as we took the lift up the mountain.

Although I spent more time on my bum than on my feet, it was a great trip. The sun shone brightly every day and the stars were abundant each night. Our lodging resembled something between a Disney movie and the Swiss alps. They even played Disney-esque music in the restaurant where we had breakfast each morning.

We got to the lift as it started each day and Justin would ride with me a bit then take the lift to the top of the mountain where he would hike to some fresher powder. By 2pm or so, we'd be both be ready for some food. Then, we'd shower and nap until happy hour at the Snorting Elk. It was a perfect combination of action and relaxation for a mid-winter getaway.


We rode the Rainier Express lift when we got there so we could catch a glimpse of her beauty on this rare bluebird day.



A view of the mountain from the backside of Crystal.


I believe that sign says something like, "Danger, leaving resort boundary into the wilderness". Justin found it on one of his many hikes for fresh powder.




That little dot is me, shredding.

No comments:

Post a Comment