Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Support Global Worming, Part 1

So, I've got worms on the brain.

No, I'm not a zombie. I want to build a new worm compost bin.

A few weeks ago, my parents attended a worm composting workshop on a Saturday afternoon at Schlafly's--the same St. Louis brewery where Justin and I had our wedding reception.
a.) how cool is it that a microbrewery is hosting worm composting workshops?
b.) how cool are my parents for going to the workshop and planning their own worm bins?

Answer to a. and b. : Super Cool.

Talking to them got me thinking about getting some worms eating at our house. When I lived in the teeny tiny apartment on Sunnyside in Seattle, my roommates and I adopted a worm community from the previous tenant and friend, Tokya. We had a little Tupperware worm bin on our back porch that functioned quite well, did not smell, and was super-easy to maintain.

Justin and I have compost piles behind our house where all of our food and yard waste go, but worms are so efficient at turning rotten smelly food into rich compost that it seems silly not to put some wigglers to work. Our compost piles can be for yard waste, food overflow, and giant things like rotting squashes, but the worms can do the rest!

We started to do some internet-based research on constructing simple worm bins and found this rad video:

The Environmentals (Episode 1)


~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment