Thursday, February 18, 2010

How do you like your day seasoned?


I like my day seasoned with a dollop of spring, a wallop of sunshine, and a hint of summer.

I like my evenings seasoned with a mild variety of winter-- crisp and cozy.

What can I say, the past two days have been blue blue blue skies, sparking snow capped mountains, and bright sunshine that feels warm when the winds mellow. Not bad for a February day, eh?

Yesterday, I worked at the Johnston's Farm. We seeded all day! Lettuces, kales, Asian greens, Asian cabbages, onions, leeks, broccoli, cha-arrd. I filled stacks of trays with light-dare I say cloudlike- potting soils; we filled our palms with tiny piles of seeds; and silently beckoned spring with each sowing. We finished by moving all the trays to previously empty greenhouse and watering in our dreams of fresh spinach and tomatoes. (Maybe that was just me)

I'm soaking it up while i can. Today, after my morning shift at Nash's, I enjoyed a stop at the Dungeness Creamery for some raw milk and splurged on some ground beef. On my drive home through the rural parts of Sequim, I reveled in my delicious purchases, the sparkly mountains, glowing fields, and soaring eagles (I counted 5)--I felt a sense of being "home". This move to Port Angeles has been a tougher adjustment than my move to Seattle more than 5 years ago -- likely the result of the community that I found (and still find) there -- but the Olympic Peninsula is, indeed, a sweet sweet place to reside with my love.

My parents and then my dear friends Meghan and Matt will both be visiting next month. I am quite excited to share this place with them. The last time my parents were here, it was the weekend that I graduated from Evergreen and officially moved into the yellow house that Justin and I share. This time, it will be a little more familiar...a little more like sharing a piece of my daily life. I just hope the flavor of spring is around for their visits. Either way, we will explore and delight in this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment